SmartSuite Enterprise | Operational Database and Application Platform
SmartSuite is Brock Solutions’ proven and scalable operational database and application platform. SmartSuite provides a comprehensive collection of real-time, technology solutions to help our clients enhance their baggage operations and management while improving the passenger experience.
Proven, Accurate Sortation Software
SmartSort is a proven, accurate sortation management and high-level control (HLC) system currently used by many of the world’s largest airports and airlines. It provides bag tracking and reporting for all key performance indicators to allow operational improvements to be identified, implemented and measured. SmartSort is a fully integrated HLC solution that includes the following subsystems:
- Sort Allocation Controller (SAC)
- Manual Encode Console (MEC)
- Data Historian System (DHS)
- Management Information System (MIS)
- SmartVision Human Machine Interface (HMI)
Dependable Baggage Handling Control Systems
With a proven track record achieved by delivering the controls for over $1 billion in Baggage Handling Systems (BHS), Brock Solutions’ SmartControl is a dependable solution you can rely on to maximize system performance and lower the total cost of ownership. Brock Solutions specializes in complex retrofit and recontrol projects, with zero unplanned downtime, achieved through rigorous testing and a comprehensive implementation plan that minimizes the impact to operations. SmartControl services include:
- System Simulation
- Electrical Design and CAD
- PLC Development
- I/O Emulation and Testing
- Panel Fabrication
- Commissioning, Training and Standby
- Ongoing Support and Maintenance
The More You Scan, The More You Know
SmartBag is a comprehensive Baggage Management Solution (BMS) for airports, airlines, and ground handlers. It provides your bag room and ramp staff with the latest technology for tracking baggage, reducing mishandled and delayed bags, and improving overall bag room performance. SmartBag has three main functions that can be implemented together or individually:
- SmartBag Reconciliation provides typical Baggage Reconciliation System (BRS) functionality, reconciling passengers and checked bags by providing baggage handlers with a clear indication of which bags have authority to be loaded onto the aircraft. An innovative alerting system notifies the user via a hand-held terminal when a bag needs to be loaded or offloaded, and an operations dashboard tracks loading exceptions and issues so they can be corrected prior to flight closure. If a bag needs to be offloaded, SmartBag Reconciliation provides detailed information on the location of the bag, allowing it to be promptly removed from the aircraft.
- SmartBag Recovery is used to reflight delayed baggage, allowing airlines to reconnect bags with passengers at their specified destinations as efficiently and cost-effectively as possible, while sending updated bag messages (i.e. BSM), and tracer service updates (i.e. SITA WorldTracer) in real-time. Hand-held terminals and mobile printers allow the agent to apply overlays with updated fight information to the bag tags in the field.
- SmartBag Tracking allows baggage handlers to scan bags throughout the airport as they are picked up and dropped off and view information about a specific bag, including inbound flight number, amount of time left for the bag to make its connection (with extra indication if the bag is a Hot Bag), and assigned gate for the bag’s outbound flight. In addition, each scan creates a data point in the SmartSuite Database, establishing a detailed transaction history for each bag.
SmartDrop is a dedicated or common-use bag drop solution that allows passengers to self-tag their bags at airport kiosks and drop them at a rapid bag drop location. Typically the transaction time for accepting the bag into the Baggage Handling System (BHS) is less than 10 seconds, enabling a much greater number of passengers to be processed without increasing the current real estate or staffing requirements.
With three options to choose from, SmartDrop is capable of meeting any physical lobby layout requirements without compromising passenger process flow. Each option can be implemented individually or in any combination, at any number of locations, while centralizing data for increased visibility into operations.
- SmartDrop Rapid Bag Drop allows an agent to scan a passenger’s boarding pass and bag tags so that SmartDrop can verify that the bags belong to the passenger and induct the bags into the BHS.
- SmartDrop Mobile Bag Drop allows agents using mobile computers with integrated scanners to approach passengers, scan their boarding pass and bag tags for verification, and direct the passenger to induct their bags into the BHS.
- Auto SmartDrop allows passengers to use a self-service terminal to scan their boarding pass and induct their bags into the BHS without agent assistance.
Real-Time Weight and Balance Integration
Brock Solutions’ SmartLoad module enables integration with an airline’s Weight and Balance (WAB) system when paired with SmartBag. SmartBag receives the load plan for a flight from the WAB system and as baggage handlers load the flight, the weight limits for each container will be enforced (via real-time Load Exceptions), ensuring that the flight is loaded according to the WAB plan.
COMAT and Cargo Reconciliation
SmartShip assists with the tracking of cargo and other barcoded commodities throughout an airline’s organization. Commodity handlers use hand-held terminals to scan items as they are loaded onto aircraft, creating a detailed, real-time record of all cargo and commodities on each flight. This allows the cargo and commodities to be tracked throughout their journey. In addition, data from SmartShip can be exchanged with external applications such as cargo planning systems, package tracking websites, or weight and balance tools.
Passenger Tracking and Boarding Pass Validation
SmartPass validates boarding passes and tracks passengers throughout their airport journey to provide airports and airlines with passenger flow information, allowing them to identify queuing areas and wait times. Security screening is improved by validating boarding passes quickly and efficiently using a barcode scanner. Airlines can then use information about the last known location of their passengers and the current airport wait times to make informed departure decisions. Gathered information can also be used for market research purposes, allowing airports to maximize retail and marketing revenue.
Expedited Customs Screening
Customs clearance processes typically require passengers to have their checked baggage present when they are clearing Customs. SmartClear uses technology at the check-in counter, in the bag room, and in the customs hall that allows customs agents to view information about each bag in lieu of having the bag physically present.
Based on customs requirements, SmartClear can capture the tag number, image, and weight information for each bag inducted into the baggage handling system (BHS) and will provide those details to the customs agent when they are interviewing the passenger. This allows for improved security in the customs hall, as passengers do not have un-screened baggage with them and transfer passengers no longer need to claim and then recheck their baggage, enhancing passenger experience and the baggage handling process.
SmartClear provides two systems to assist in the processing of passengers, depending on customs requirements:
- SmartClear Baggage Image and Weight Identification System (BIWIS)
- SmartClear International-to-Domestic (ITD) Transfer System
Boarding Process Management
Brock Solutions’ passenger departure management system, SmartGate, provides automated preflight seat assignment, standby processing, and upgrade management functionality. SmartGate simplifies and tracks the overall boarding process and provides gate agents with real-time passenger information which allows airlines to make informed decisions about the boarding process in order to improve on-time departure performance. SmartGate can also be used by airline agents to deboard an individual passenger or an entire flight as needed.
Dynamic Event Notification
SmartNotify collects real-time information about flight status changes, gate changes, bag status information, and exception data from a variety of airline and airport systems, and delivers it to airline external messaging systems for delivery to passengers on mobile and web-enabled devices.
SmartSuite Enterprise is Brock Solutions’ proven, scalable, and modular airport and airline management solution, collecting real-time baggage, passenger, and flight information and providing end-to-end visibility into enterprise-wide system operations. The SmartSuite Database, provided with every installation, serves as a central repository for all baggage, passenger, and flight messages, as well as user actions and location data for every processed bag and passenger enterprise-wide. SmartSuite Enterprise can also collect information from external sources (baggage handling systems, airline systems, etc.). All data is consolidated and linked with other corresponding information to create detailed records that tell the entire operational story.
Flexible, Intelligent Centralized Message Broker
SmartConnect is a powerful message broker that interprets, manipulates, and routes messages between systems based on user-defined filters and business rules. SmartConnect acts as a central messaging hub to interface with each system and relay messages between them, maximizing integration while reducing the complexity of the overall messaging architecture. Deploying a flexible, intelligent message broker can reduce costs by limiting the changes required due to incompatible communication methods and structures.
Real-Time BHS Monitoring
SmartVision is Brock Solutions’ Human-Machine Interface (HMI). By providing a live graphical representation of the Baggage Handling System (BHS), SmartVision allows control room operators to monitor the BHS in real-time, enabling areas of congestion or mechanical issues to be identified before they have a chance to negatively impact system performance.