Brock Solutions is one of the largest independent Baggage Handling System (BHS) controls integrators in the world having executed more than 1000 sortation and controls projects in some of the world’s largest airports throughout the past 25 years. We are excited to partner with BBHS, based in Denmark, to support their Intelligent Baggage Handling solution, which won the IATA Ground Handling Conference Innovation Award in 2017.
Brock Solutions is experienced in integrating with different systems and is laser-focused on customer outcomes, which is key now, more than ever. Brock’s software solutions have proven to reduce operating costs and improve operational efficiency by automating manual tasks and improving system performance. BBHS delivers modular components for intelligent, fast, gentle, and efficient baggage handling also with proven results such as: 95% reduced manual baggage handling, up to 60% improved footprint utilization and real-time tracking of in-system baggage (using Brock’s SmartSort and SmartSuite Enterprise).
Closing the automation gap on last and first mile of the baggage handling processes, the BBHS System enabling modules made up of:
- Capacity Boosters – With automated pre-sort for departure destinations, the dynamic multilevel just-in-time storage removes requirements for cart storage, staging and circulating lanes.
- Make-up Station – Receives baggage from Capacity Boosters with rapid on-demand departure sortation combined BBHS cart batching and loading devices fully able to comply with airline requirements.
- BBHS Cart – A baggage cart carefully engineered through thoughtful mechanical design of gravity fed shelves with rollers for rapid load and unload transforming injury-prone lifting to simply guiding.
- Arrival Station – Receives all baggage in swift <10 seconds flush from BBHS Cart and dispatches to Reclaim, Transit or according to other arrival sortation criteria.
The BBHS system is integrated into IT architecture, and operated and managed using Brock Solutions’ SmartSuite software.
SmartSort manages the high-level controls, consisting of:
- Sort Allocation Controller (SAC) – The central server of the system for all real-time communication requirements, including an interface for the receipt of BSM and Flight Data, and communication with the PLCs to direct sortation into the Capacity Boosters and Departure Control Units, as well as receive baggage event messages.
- Data Historian System (DHS) – A central server within the system, for all long-term storage. It is responsible for collecting and storing data from the PLCs and the SAC.
- Supervisory Control and Data Acquisition System (SCADA) – Provided via SmartVision on both a mobile HMI or operator workstation.
SmartControl manages the lower-level controls of conveyors, BBHS equipment and PLCs required for the system.
What holds all of this together is SmartSuite Enterprise, a consolidated, real-time view of both baggage and passenger operations. The SmartSuite Web Client provides the interface to the Management Information System (MIS). The data management and reporting facilities required to operate and maintain the BBHS system is conducted via the system. SmartSuite Enterprise also includes the key Global Search feature, which allows users to search for flights, passengers, baggage, or any combination of those items from one screen. Advanced users can also view bag transactions and messages (i.e. BSM, BPM, etc.) for each tag number.
There is also potential for SmartSuite Enterprise and the BBHS system to integrate with SmartBag, Brock Solutions’ Baggage Reconciliation System (BRS), to automate the baggage handling process even further whether it is simple reconciliation, or an automated recovery and IROPS handling view.
To learn more about our partnership with BBHS and how our solutions can inspire your operations, get in touch with one of our SmartSuite experts!
About Brock Solutions
Brock Solutions works with Manufacturers, Airports, Airlines, Water Authorities, and Warehousing/ Distribution centers all over the world. We provide industry-leading automation projects, software solutions, sustainment and consulting services that reduce operating costs and extend the life of existing systems, universally improving operations in a way that drives measurable value for each and every one of our customers.
We provide Powerful Systems that are Simple to use and inspire Meaningful Change.